Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Quiche


Actually it is me who likes to eat quiche and because I cook this often, even you like to eat it.

When I was expecting you, Kochamma came to visit me and we went to Ampang for shopping. We had a nice banana leaf lunch at Uncle Mathai's shop and after that we went to Ampang point, because Kochamma wanted to go to the beauty salon. Just as I entered the mall, I could smell quiche being baked somewhere. I rubbed my big, huge, giant belly and told Kochamma I am famished and I will not take another step till I get a slice of quiche! (ofcourse I could bully her because I had the car key!!)

I made your poor Kochamma search the entire Ampang point shopping mall and find who was baking Quiche! She finally found it..at the delifrance! In other words, you were eating quiche even when you were in my tummy!


In order to make a good quiche, you need to know how to make a good crust.


Two Rules you must follow

*Do not knead the dough too much

*Make sure the water is very very cold.


Recipe for the base/crust


1 1/3 cup plain flour

1/2 cup crisco

1/2 t spn salt

3 tbl spn of cold water.


In a bowl mix the flour and the salt, then add the crisco and gently mix it. Once the crisco is mixed with the flour, the flour should look something like soft bread crumbs. Now add 1 tbl spn of cold water, mix it with a fork. Do not use your hand.(the heat from your hand will melt the crisco and toughen the dough!), continue to add the remaining 2 tbl spn of water and mix well. Now use your hand and form the dough in to a ball.
Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
Line the pie plate with the pastry

Flute the edge.(using the thumb and index finger,gently press the pastry all around the edge )

Now the base is ready.
There are two ways to bake the quiche. One you bake the crust first and then add the filling, the other one is bake the crust along with the filling. Mama prefers the latter! ( less hassle!)
If you have leftover pastry, store it in a zip lock in the freezer. You can use it to make trellis pattern for fruit pies, or roll the left over pastry thinly, cut in to diamond shapes and deep fry..You get nice diamond cuts..

No comments: